Sunday, September 10, 2023

September 10, 2023: 23rd Sunday in Ordinary Time

Through baptism, we join in Christ's mission as Priest, Prophet, and King.

In the role of prophet, we proclaim the Truth, and follow the leading of the Holy Spirit to help steer others in the way of righteousness according to the Truth.  We are indeed meant to uphold this righteousness in our world.

In the Gospel, Jesus established steps for how to address misbehavior in the Church.  If it goes so far that someone won't even accept discipline from the church, we treat that person as a Gentile.  They may have removed themselves from acceptable standards of Church membership, but we still show them love.

Indeed, like St. Paul writes in teh 2nd reading, all the commands are ultimately about living love to others that God has first shown us.  Jesus came as the ultimate fulfillment of the Law, transforming us so that we can truly manifest that love in our lives as we put faith into action.

This week is special for me because it marks 10 years since I started teaching Religious Education.  The great gift of faith in me had been shaped in significant ways throughout my life, especially in middle school and college years.  Teaching RE has been a way for me to channel that faith in helping the middle schoolers in class before me to follow the way of faith.

I also think about how my grandparents have all shaped my faith in their unique ways, including how the love we have shared has manifested God's presence in our lives.  I certainly have so much to celebrate on this Grandparents' Day.

When we are faithful to this work of advancing God's righteousness through obedience to the commands, which is ultimately about manifesting God's love, He is truly present among us.  May our faith help us recognize that God is at work in us.

No comments:

Post a Comment