Monday, May 5, 2014

May 4, 2014: Third Sunday of Easter

I find that the Gospel reading for this Sunday coincides aptly with two things happening in my life.

On May 9, 2014, I mark 15 years since my first Holy Communion at St. Giles Family Mass Community--an event that happened at a Mass held inside a parochial school gymnasium.

During this weekend, I attended Mass at St. Teresa of Avila Roman Catholic Student Center, the church I attended while a student at Valparaiso University.  It was great visiting with many people I got to know well during my time as a student there, in both the communities of St. Teresa's and of the university.

The term "breaking bread" refers to sharing a meal with someone.  I had a few opportunities to break bread with dear friends as I reconnected with them.

In the Gospel reading, the two disciples connect with a stranger as the Risen Jesus when He breaks the bread, and they see His presence fully revealed.  In so doing, Jesus shows how God's plan for salvation is unfolding in our daily lives, which preserves us from death and leads to us life, and joy in God's presence.

This again speaks to how the Paschal Mystery is something we enter into in the experiences of our own lives, as we invite God to be present with us.


No comments:

Post a Comment