Sunday, May 20, 2018

May 20, 2018: Pentecost Sunday

Following in the spirit of Paschal Joy we experienced on Resurrection Sunday, when we celebrated Christ Alive and Risen, we now rejoice in the Life we have been given through the power of the Holy Spirit, the promise of the Risen Christ and the evidence of His continued Presence among us.

The Life of the Risen Jesus becomes manifest in ordinary people when the Holy Spirit descends upon the disciples and births the Church.  The Spirit is manifest in many different gifts in different people, but they all are empowered by the Spirit with certain gifts to proclaim the reality of God alive among us, for His Glory.

No longer are we weak, scared, and cut off.  As is described in the account in John 20, God truly brings His people alive by breathing into them the breath that enables the gifts in them, and sustains them in the peace of the Risen Christ.

This weekend marks my 5-year anniversary of graduating with my Bachelor's degree.  Throughout my four years of college, I grew so much in faith.  It was fitting I marked my graduation on Pentecost weekend that year, just as I do this year.  On that weekend in 2013, just as I did this year, I proclaimed the passage from Acts 2.  I think about this even as I celebrate how the Holy Spirit has worked in my life and brought me alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment