Thursday, May 31, 2018

May 31, 2018: Feast of the Visitation of Mary

Recently, on Pentecost, we celebrated how God is ever present with us in the Holy Spirit Who dwells in us.

On this feast of the Visitation, we continue to celebrate and rejoice because like the prophet Zephaniah declares, "...the Holy One of Israel is in your midst".  And like Isaiah says, "He has become my salvation".

Truly John the Baptist has great reason to rejoice because he recognizes the Holy Presence of God in Jesus in the womb of Mary, and so John leaps.  Elizabeth is filled with the Holy Spirit and rejoices at the presence of Mary, in whom God works because she opened herself to God.  And Mary rejoices in God in the wondrous words of the Magnificat because of the marvelous wonders He does through the lowly.

Let us always be aware of God's presence among us, so that we may continue rejoicing.

It's just like I told my students on the first day of the month in my remarks sending them off.  I told them their 8th grade graduation on May 31 is the Feast of the Visitation, and how I leap for joy seeing God's presence at work in them.  Truly I rejoiced over them as I watched them walk across the stage at graduation.  And I encouraged them to open themselves up to God's presence among them, so that no matter what, in recognizing Him, we rejoice.

No comments:

Post a Comment