Sunday, July 26, 2020

July 26, 2020: 17th Sunday in Ordinary Time

When we truly encounter the Living God, we realize the faith that brings us into a relationship with Him is truly a great treasure, worth devoting all our lives to, as the man who buys the field with the treasure, or the merchant who finds the one pearl of great price.

We strive to live in the righteous God imparts to us, to be counted among those who enter the Kingdom at the end of time, because we know that He is actively working to conform us to the image of His Son, so that we may share in His Glory, we who He predestined and called.

We follow the example of King Solomon, who didn't seek something just for Himself, but the wisdom that allows us to live rightly, especially in serving others, seeking what is truly most valuable in life.  We seek the wisdom and the words of God that lead to abundant Life.

Then we do as the words speak, putting faith into action, which leads us toward realizing the fullness of God, the greatest treasure.

I recall 15 years ago, as I was preparing for Confirmation, I attended a summer meeting and we reflected on today's Gospel reading.  My Confirmation was definitely an important experience in my life when I came to value faith as the great treasure, worthy of all my devotion, driving me to seek after those words of God by which I would attain to the fullness of Life.

No comments:

Post a Comment