Sunday, August 25, 2024

August 25, 2024: 21st Sunday in Ordinary Time

On the 21st Sunday in Ordinary Time, August 23, 2009, I attended Mass at St. Teresa's Catholic Student Center for the first time, a day after coming to Valparaiso University to start my college education.

I heard the same readings at Mass today, once again in Valparaiso.

Jesus has presented a profound message about His Body and Blood throughout the course of John 6, and it compels a response from those who hear Him.  Some, unable to comprehend what He said, discontinue as disciples and return to their former way of life.

Then Jesus turns to the Twelve and asks them if they want to leave.

St. Peter responds with a firm statement of commitment, acknowledging that Jesus is the Holy One of God, speaking the words leading to Eternal Life, as the Word.

In the first reading, Joshua also compels the people to make a choice, and states that he and his household will serve the Lord.  The people, aware of all that God has done to bring His people to the Promised Land, state their commitment to serve the Lord.

When I heard these words 15 years ago, God was presenting me a choice to commit to my part as a member of the Church community.  Fully aware of how God was making Himself present to me through the community of St. Teresa's, I responded by getting involved.

Today, Bishop McCLory celebrated a special Mass for the 50th Anniversary of St. Teresa's.  He said that making a commitment is not a one time matter, but something God calls us to do continuously.

And so when we come before the altar to receive His Body and Blood, we answer the call again to be part of His church community, responding in love to the One Who has loved us and given of Himself for us, an image reflected in the martial union of husband and wife.

Keeping constantly aware of how God makes His sacrificial love present to us, we always have reason to respond and remain committed to our relationship with Him, and then go forth in our mission to share that love with all the world.

I know that I am blessed to have had a part in the 50 years of ministry that St. Teresa's has offered, because it truly has impacted my life and sent me forth to live out the encounters I had with God during my years at St. Teresa's.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing! We are blessed to have had you as a student here at St. Teresa of Avila!

    ReplyDelete